Job analysis is the method of analyzing a number of characteristics associated with a job role. It is done for the purpose of making important decisions regarding an organization’s talent strategy. All the information that is collected and structured in a job analysis process helps an organization to drive its talent management processes such as recruitment and selection, onboarding, training, performance evaluations, career pathing, and more.
Challenges of job analysis methods
There are several different ways in which HR professionals, supervisors, and job analysts perform a job analysis. Although the results of these methods are very effective, there are some challenges posed by each of these methods.
For example, DACUM is a job analysis method where a panel of experts gather in a room and brainstorm different aspects of their job role. But it involves a number of challenges as every activity is performed manually, such as getting everyone at one place, storyboarding identified duties and tasks on a wall, compiling the output, and validating it with a greater audience.
Other common methods for job analysis include questionnaires and observations. With these methods, analysts gather information about the job role either by rotating questionnaires among job incumbents or observing them perform their job role. But it gets challenging when multiple tools are used to collect and store this information, which makes it quite hard to attain valuable insights as all this data is not centrally managed and maintained.
Apart from this, the following are a few challenges that are faced while carrying out an effective job analysis:
- Managing all job analysis data centrally
- Compiling the output to prepare a single job profile
- Validating the created output with a greater audience
- Revisiting and revising the collected information in the long term
- Using this information for future decision making
What is the solution?
All these concerns mentioned are leading towards the need to streamline and add structure to a job analysis process. This is where a digital job analysis platform comes in.
A digital job analysis platform is a single platform for all your job analysis needs.
Aidematic is a digital job analysis platform where you can schedule your job analysis sessions. Every created session is provided with a control room where you will find a number of tools to analyze different aspects of a job role.
Following are some activities that you can perform in Aidematic’s job analysis studio while carrying out an analysis process:
- Defining session schedule and inviting stakeholders to participate and collaborate in the analysis process
- Using a multi-threaded discussion board to chat and communicate ideas with session participants
- Uploading and attaching relevant media files to the session that provide orientation material or job-specific information to the session’s participants
- Crafting surveys and questionnaires and triggering them at any point of the session to collect information about the job role under analysis or to validate the created output
- Gathering ideas and opinions about the job role on a brainstorming board
- Storyboarding the identified duties and tasks
- Utilizing a central competency library to attach relevant competencies to the job role
While you’re preparing all this data from within the session control room, a job profile is being constructed that shows all this data about the job role in one place. This job profile is visible to the stakeholders and participants involved in the process, where they can view the live updates being made to the job profile as it is created. They can also collaborate and leave comments through the discussion board. This job profile can be digitally distributed with a link, and the end result can also be exported as a PDF.
This is where a digital job analysis platform begins but it doesn’t end here. Because all this data related to a specific job role is being maintained and structured in a digital-friendly format, it can then be used in different stages of talent management such as recruitment, onboarding, training, performance evaluations, career pathing, and succession planning.
In this way, with a digital job analysis platform, you are not only digitizing one process of your organization, rather you are empowering every single stage that comes after it because this information will drive every other phase.
Interested to know more about our job analysis platform? You can book a free software demo and trial today. Just leave us a message and we will contact you in no time.